Sunday 6 March 2011

Homework Task- object 1 - glow lantern

                                           shutter 2.5 aperture f4.00 iso 200 focal length 24mm
  
The homework  was to take 5 photographs of 5 different things in different locations on different iso speeds.  Each scene had to contain a person or people and be cropped to a square 8" x 8" with a 300dpi.
The item could be worn or not.

Picture 1:                                    
I wanted to have a go at photographing an object with light passing through it.  I used a glass key ring with a person wearing it in front of an open fire place, in the hope that the light from the fire would show through the object  making it look like it was glowing inside (like a miniature glow lantern).  Because I had a very low iso the camera used a long shutter speed and it was hard for the person to keep their hand still in mid air, so I asked them to put it through the back of the chair loop. Then I had to crop it square.


                                                                      Burnt Fingers

I had thought the fireplace may work in the square shape composition when I was taking the shot, knowing I could crop it down to squarish, omitting items at the side of the fire that I didn't want in the scene.  I am not very good at cropping down in photoshop to a specific size though, so this was just guess work. (This is something I need to learn).  I tried to keep equal amounts of the wood frame at each side and similar sizing of the top wood surround to the hearth, whilst just having the hand in the frame containing the object.  Whilst the colour of the wicker chair matches that of the fire tiles background I am not sure if it works in the scene or not.  I decided it was a little different anyway...  It  makes the viewer look close to check if the hand is going into the fire or not (depth of field), and then closer at the object.  I focussed on the persons hand because I was not using a whole person in the image.  The scene was lit by a lamp to the left corner of the room as well as the fire flames.  While I think it is ok, it is not great and a little dark.  I do like the glowing lantern effect though so I did achieve something I set out to do.
 Next time I would raise the iso to give a faster shutter and more light and maybe have another lamp at the other (right) side of the room too as the lighting is not strong enough.  I would  ask my friend to take her ring off as I think it detracts from the key ring, which I had wanted her to wear on her finger instead.  I did use a tripod, but do not have a shutter release yet.  I also need to learn how to crop to an 8"x 8" with a specific dpi? I am  pleased with the composition in that it uses pattern, the rule of thirds with lines to draw the eye inward.

What went wrong:

I only managed to complete one picture of this exercise due to time restraints and the fact that I was trying to come up with something different.  I had wanted to collate a theme of reflected items, and I did have a couple more ideas... then the course progressed onwards and I didn't get chance to come back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment