Wednesday 23 March 2011

I stood in a tree

I do have a thing for trees and love to photograph them.  During Level 1 I researched Thomas Packenham, and his book  "Remarkable Trees Of The World."  I remember reading about  "the tree that looks like a troll" and how it had an opening base and looked like you could step inside.  I remember saying I have never walked inside a tree before......and now I have...

                                          shutter 1/160  aperture f7.1  iso 200  focal L 24mm

This is the tree I stepped inside of.  I exposed for the base of the tree in the above shot which has come out clear with the lone branch in the foreground also showing clearly.  I like the ragertiness of this scene with branches everywhere, and the colourings. It also has some depth.

                                                                          Out Of Africa
                                                shutter 1/400  aperture f7.1  iso 200  focal L 60mm

The same tree taken from a different angle gives the scene a different overall colour and mood.

                                       shutter 1/12  aperture f7.1  iso 400   focal L 24mm

The above image is taken inside the tree looking up.   I had to have a higher iso as it was dark inside the tree except where sun light poured in through various openings.

                                            shutter 1/5  aperture f7.1  iso 200  focal L 47mm

These images  show where I stood inside the tree, taken from the outside peering in.  They reveal the colours and textures found inside.

                                                                        Tree legs
                                         shutter 1/40  aperture f7.1  iso 200  focal L 24mm

                                           shutter 1/6  aperture f7.1  iso 200  focal L 24mm

As I said my influences for these images was born during level 1.  Also I am now reading "The Life And Love of Trees by Lewis Blackwell..."a collective work of many great photographers, writers and thinkers who have been inspired by observing trees."

A quote from therein:-

                               "Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath,
                                            no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does"

My planning for this trip out was that I would go to Calke (a favourite place to photograph and walk) and find a new walk.  I would carry my camera hand held because I believe this can lead to more creative shots, and look for close ups of nature that catch my eye.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Some really good close up shots showing really nice texture.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trees as well ….you have some nice shoots there…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ness, Thought this might interest you:

    http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/inspiration/55-fascinating-forest-photographs-and-tips-to-shoot-your-own/

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI
    You really have to start labelling your work as how will you know what to produce and why and for when? If you dont do this you will struggle in the latter stages of this course, I will help you with this but it must happen.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete